2 in home invasion sentenced to more than 20 years.

Position:LOCAL NEWS
 
FREE EXCERPT

Byline: Scott J. Croteau

WORCESTER - Two men involved in a home invasion inside a Nashua Street apartment in Fitchburg were sentenced yesterday in Worcester Superior Court to serve two decades in prison. Authorities described the crime as an attempted drug rip-off.

Lawyers for Mark Taylor and Nicholas Martinez argued a sentence of more than 20 years for the two men would be equal to a life sentence, but Judge Janet Kenton-Walker said the facts of the case and the two men's criminal history showed a lengthy time in prison was warranted.

Mr. Taylor, 49, of Worcester and Mr. Martinez, 45, of Fitchburg were both found guilty by a jury earlier this month on charges of home invasion, aggravated assault and battery with a dangerous weapon and armed assault to rob.

According to authorities, the two men entered an apartment at 91 Nashua St. in Fitchburg on Sept. 21, 2009, and attacked three people with knives. The attack occurred about 12:20 a.m.

Police found three people inside the apartment. A 43-year-old man had been stabbed eight times and a woman, 28, had been stabbed while she was in a fetal position on the floor. A third person, a 25-year-old man who lived in the building, entered the apartment when he heard cries for help and was stabbed in the buttocks and leg, according to Assistant District Attorney Jeffrey T. Travers.

Both men found guilty of the crime spoke of their addiction to crack cocaine and their struggles.

"All I can do is offer my apologies to the victims in this case," Mr. Martinez said, addressing the judge. "There's no winners and there's...

To continue reading

FREE SIGN UP