18 taken to hospital in chemical rupture; Company closed for cleanup, tests.

Position:LOCAL NEWS
 
FREE EXCERPT

Byline: Steven H. Foskett Jr.

MARLBORO - Eighteen people were taken to area hospitals yesterday as a precaution after a plastic drum containing 20 to 30 gallons of an unidentified chemical ruptured under pressure at Spectrum Microwave, fire officials said.

One additional employee of the 400 Nickerson Road building drove himself to Marlboro Hospital later in the day to request treatment.

Fire officials said they went to Spectrum around 7 a.m. after a chemical reaction was reported. Firefighters evacuated the building and cordoned off the laboratory area. One of the evacuated workers began to experience respiratory distress.

Eighteen people were taken away. Fire officials said six went to UMass Memorial Medical Center - University Campus in Worcester; six to Marlboro Hospital, and six to St. Vincent Hospital in Worcester.

Fire officials said Clean Harbors Environmental Services was called in to do cleanup. The building was closed until the lab area was cleaned and air samples were taken throughout the...

To continue reading

FREE SIGN UP