From the region.

Position:LOCAL NEWS
 
FREE EXCERPT

COLUMN: From the region

Marlboro

Man allegedly stole contractor's identity

MARLBORO - Attorney General Martha Coakley has filed a lawsuit and obtained a temporary restraining order against a Marlboro man for allegedly stealing another contractor's license and providing home improvement contractor services without a license or registration.

The complaint was filed in Suffolk Superior Court Thursday against Mauricio B. Meyer, 32, and his company, Tyrex Construction & Remodeling Inc., operated out of his home at 72 Nashoba Drive. The complaint alleges that Mr. Meyer created false documents and adopted the identity of a similarly named contractor who is the owner of a business in Everett.

Last week, Mr. Meyer was arraigned in Middlesex Superior Court and charged with one count of identify fraud regarding this case. A pretrial conference is scheduled for April 15. If convicted, he faces up to two and a half years in jail and a maximum fine of $500,000.

In the civil case filed by the attorney general, Suffolk Superior Court Judge Linda E. Giles on Thursday issued a temporary restraining order prohibiting Mr. Meyer from providing residential contracting services, soliciting or collecting payment from consumers for providing residential contracting services, and from falsely representing that he is a registered or licensed contractor.

Mr. Meyer allegedly used the Internet to find the registration and license numbers of a contractor who had a name similar to his, and then created fraudulent home improvement contractor and construction supervisor license cards. The complaint further alleges that Mr. Meyer performed unsafe construction work that also violated building code regulations.

The attorney general's office is also seeking injunctive relief, consumer restitution and the costs of the investigation and prosecution of this case. A hearing on the attorney general's motion for a preliminary injunction has been scheduled for Thursday

in Suffolk Superior Court.

Worcester

Board told of parents' education concerns

WORCESTER - Parents in Worcester want a high-quality education for their children but recognize that there are obstacles that make it difficult for the district to provide it, the School Committee was told Thursday night. That was one of the messages from a parent-guardian roundtable Jan. 30 that involved almost 200 parents representing 41 of the city's 44 schools, the leaders of the Citywide Parent Planning Advisory Committee told the School...

To continue reading

FREE SIGN UP