Man held in scratch ticket thefts; Cards grabbed from 8 stores this month.

Position:LOCAL NEWS
 
FREE EXCERPT

Byline: Scott J. Croteau

WORCESTER - A city man accused of grabbing scratch tickets from eight convenience stores in the city this month was held on a total of $40,000 cash bail after his arraignment in court Monday.

Richard Lunt, 27, of 37 Lafayette St., Apt. 2, was charged with two counts of larceny from a building and six counts of unarmed robbery Monday in Central District Court. Bail was set at $5,000 on each charge and the case was continued to Dec. 20.

Police had been looking for a man who was going into convenience stores in the city and grabbing scratch tickets. On Saturday about 6 p.m. and with the assistance of Charlton police, Mr. Lunt was taken to Worcester and charged with the robberies.

The past few weeks, police have investigated roughly 15 robberies in which a man entered a convenience store, stole scratch tickets and ran off. Mr. Lunt has been charged with eight of the robberies and police are reviewing the remaining cases, police spokesman Sgt. Kerry F. Hazelhurst said.

Police are investigating whether Mr. Lunt will be charged in any of the other scratch ticket thefts, he said.

Daniel L. Rosenfeld, director of communications for the state Lottery, said stolen tickets are worthless if the ticket thefts were reported and the store owners kept a good...

To continue reading

FREE SIGN UP