Webster man held on various charges; Fiancee allegedly kidnapped, stabbed.


Byline: Brian Lee

WEBSTER - A 36-year-old man was ordered held without bail after appearing in Dudley District Court yesterday on charges he kidnapped and stabbed his fiancee.

Police Chief Timothy J. Bent said the victim's injuries were not life-threatening. There were defensive wounds to her arms, wrists and a cut on her leg. She was transported to Hubbard Regional Hospital in Webster. A nursing supervisor said yesterday the hospital never releases its patients' status.

Tuan H. Nguyen faces nine charges, the most serious being armed assault with intent to commit murder, and kidnapping, stemming from the alleged assault Wednesday night at the couple's residence, 70 Pleasant St., Apt. 3.

Mr. Nguyen was also charged with two counts of threatening to commit a crime, assault and battery with a dangerous weapon (a butcher knife), home invasion, threatening to commit a crime, vandalizing property, assault and battery, and witness intimidation.

Judge Neil G. Snider entered pleas of not guilty for Mr. Nguyen.

A dangerousness hearing will be held today at the request of the state and a Vietnamese interpreter will be provided for Mr. Nguyen.

Chief Bent said Mr. Nguyen spoke limited English.

According to a police report by Officer Gordon Wentworth, Mr. Nguyen allegedly grabbed Francisca Rosario by her sweatshirt, dragged her down a hallway, cut her with a knife several times, and did not allow her to leave their apartment.

Ms. Rosario's cousin, Ana Nieves, who lives in an adjacent apartment, told police she overheard fighting and knocked on the couple's door. Ms. Nieves opened her door and called for her cousin, and saw that her cousin was "covered in blood," the report stated.

Ms. Rosario ran into her cousin's apartment and into a back bedroom, and after about 15 minutes, Mr. Nguyen banged on the door, allegedly saying, "Open the ... door or I'll kill you both!"

Ms. Nieves did not...

To continue reading